Monday, March 5, 2012

This just in…

My book reviews suck.

I’m re-reading an earlier recommendation that I’d made (the Stone Barrington series), and I’ve found some significant inaccuracies. The most major of all involves the sex of Arrington’s child. At the end of one book, Arrington had had a daughter. Suddenly in the next book, the child has turned into a son.

I understand why the child needed to be a son, but I’ve read the whole series – I know how it turns out. It wouldn’t be able to turn out that specific way with a daughter. I think it was a goof, but it was probably a goof in communication (between the author and his editor). At the end of the book where the child was introduced, Stuart undoubtedly had further story lines in development (if not actually written), and he wasn’t put in a position where he had to give any thought to the sex of the child prior to the book hitting the shelves.

The mysterious change happens between books, and chances are, if you’ve already gone through that part in the series, you don’t have any idea what I’m talking about. If you haven’t gotten to that point yet, you’ll catch it; he does absolutely nothing to hide it from you.

I’m tempted to post a poll (if I can figure out how to post one!). I’ll see what I can do. from my end.

1 comment:

  1. Man totally missed that one, now I have to go back and re-read to check it out because you know it is going to drive me crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete